Another one of my masterclass teams conducted a day of filming with various cobblers in Pune. Note this film has no sound because they were narrating it and pointing out sequences themselves.
Broadly, the learnings were as follows:
- They rely on passing footfall and need to be as visible as possible
- Yet they need to watch out for police or trading officials so they can quickly pack up and disappear
- All of their tools are homemade or found
- Any boxes or stands are home made
- Health and safety is non-existent
- Often they provide replacement flip flops while repairing shoes
- The idea of closing shop is fascinating - even while putting away tools they keep an eye out for potential new customers - and things are never completely put away until they absolutely need to be
- Transporting their stall to and from different locations is extremely challenging
- Any design solutions should not simply address their current situation. These people are striving for better lives.
The design solutions were fantastic.
Next up will be the hospital ethnography.